History of the Museum
In 1972, Rafi Arbisser, the Educational Director of Congregation Beth Yeshurun, learned that Rabbi Isaac Toubin was interested in selling his collection of Judaica. Rabbi Toubin was a prominent Jewish educator who had served on the Jewish War Board, traveling through Europe at the end of the Second World War in order to help relocate Jewish refugees. Rabbi Toubin loved Judaica and, as a way of rescuing works that otherwise might have been lost, collected them as he went. He continued to acquire Judaica in the 1950's and 1960's, amassing a major collection.
Mr. Arbisser asked Louis Kaplan, a man who had been enormously generous to the Congregation and its new day school, whether he would cover the cost to purchase the collection for Beth Yeshurun, and Mr. Kaplan agreed. Read More
The mission of the Mollie and Louis Kaplan Judaica Museum of Congregation Beth Yeshurun is to:
Judaica; post-biblical history of the Jews; synagogues