Beth Yeshurun's roots go back more than a century to the founding of Adath Yeshurun in 1891. In 1946 Adath Yeshurun merged with Beth El, forming the current Beth Yeshurun. In 2002 Beth Yeshurun absorbed the membership of Shearith Israel in nearby Wharton, Texas. Throughout its 120+ year history, the congregants of Beth Yeshurun have been leaders in the Houston Jewish community, attending to not only synagogue needs but also local Jewish social service agencies.
The Beth Yeshurun Day School – the first Jewish Day School in Houston – was born in 1949 when Rabbi William Malev convinced the Congregation of the necessity to have a Day School. Since then more than 2000 students have graduated from our Day School, becoming doctors, attorneys, businessmen and women, mothers and fathers, civic leaders, and leaders in the Jewish community, here in Houston and in other cities throughout the United States.
Beth Yeshurun moved to its present location in 1962, the first Houston synagogue to relocate outside of the "old Jewish quarter." Congregants' residences, other synagogues, and Jewish businesses followed. Now centrally located among 80% of the Jewish community, Beth Yeshurun continues to be a progressive leader among Jewish institutions while maintaining stability of tradition and leadership. Rabbi William Malev led the Congregation for 27 years, followed by Rabbi Jack Segal for 23 years, and now Rabbi David Rosen since 1996. Cantor George Wagner served the Congregation for over 35 years, Hazzan David Propis for 18 years, and Hazzan Meir Finkelstein arrived in 2013. Rabbi Steve Morgen and Rabbi Brian Strauss joined our clergy staff in 1999 and 2001, respectively.
You can experience more of the history of Beth Yeshurun by visiting our Heritage Room at the synagogue.
In 1998 Beth Yeshurun began a needed renovation and expansion project which was completed in 2004. The entire synagogue was renovated and more than 30,000 square feet of building were added. The synagogue now incorporates three beautiful sanctuaries – the J. B. Greenfield Chapel, the Freedman/Levit Sanctuary, and the Barg Family Sanctuary; three conference rooms, and four multipurpose rooms/auditoriums ranging in size from 1,600 to 10,000 square feet. Our kosher kitchens – meat, dairy, and pareve – can prepare delicious banquets for as many as 800 diners.